Whatever can be said about the current situation in Eritrea, there’s no doubt that the country’s international ties are strengthening apace.
Since last month’s historic visit to Eritrea by Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy, and the return visit by President Isaias, events have moved rapidly.
For a country that was isolated for many years (until it cut ties with Iran and struck up a friendship with Saudi Arabia and the UAE) Eritrea is swiftly re-integrating itself into the international system.
In addition to being welcomed at the African Union, the following are some of the events announced by the Eritrean government.
- 31 August – Foreign Minister Osman Saleh and Presidential Adviser Yemane Gebreab in Russia
- 24 August – German Development Minister, Dr Gerd Muller, in Eritrea to meet President Isaias
- 19 August – President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir, in Asmara to meet President Isaias
- 13 August – Foreign Minister Osman Saleh and Presidential Adviser Yemane Gebreab in Somalia
- 9 August – Saudi Foreign Minister, Abdel al-Jubeir, leads delegation to see President Isaias
- 7 August – President Isaias meets Japanese delegation led by Foreign Minister Masahisa Sato in Asmara
- 5 August – Foreign Minister Osman Saleh and Presidential Adviser Yemane Gebreab in Saudi Arabia
- 28 July – Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed in Asmara to meet President Isaias
- 24 July – President Isaias in Abu Dhabi to meet Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed
- 23 July – President Isaias in Saudi Arabia to meet King Salman bin Abdulaziz al Saud
- 14 – 16 July – President Isaias on three day visit to Ethiopia
- 7 – 9 July – Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed visits to Eritrea and meets President Isaias